Monday, May 11, 2009

Saturday and Sunday

On Saturday, Anthony and I headed out to the shooting range at the dump. But first we made a stop at a friend's house. Anthony knows the husband from work and I know the wife from my job. Anthony had heard that they might be selling some of their guns, and he was looking for a particular type of rifle. We had a nice visit, but the price for the rifle he wanted was a little too high. Instead, he bought a .45 caliber pistol and they gave him a really good deal. It should be a good pistol for carrying on hikes in case he runs into any bears, etc.

I got a good picture of him on the range as we did some test-shooting.


We were shooting my rifle as well. We used his camera, which takes videos, so we got a couple of good videos of him shooting his pistol and me shooting my rifle. I don't know that large video files are the best content for a blog, though.

On Sunday, Samara wasn't feeling very well, but by the evening, I was finally able to convince her to go hiking with Anthony and I out past the hospital. The hospital is on the opposite end of Kanakanak Road from town. It's out the coast towards the mouth of the Nushagak Bay. Past the hospital is a place called the "Vortex" which is actually a little building with some kind of radar or beacon on it. You drive to there and then walk across the boggy tundra to get a good view of the bay.

Look, tundra!

Once we got across the tundra, there was a nice view of the bay.

Then we sat and watched it for a while, looking for whales.

But there were no whales to be seen.

Just icy bay.

After we got home, I snapped one last picture for everyone--to demonstrate an important point about Alaska.

This is ten o'clock pm.

Perfectly light.

No comments: