Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Aleknagik Lake and a Moose!

Samara had to return to work today, but my family is still here visiting. Today we decided to take a drive out to Aleknagik Lake and see the view. There's not a lot to do out there, but it's a really pretty area. Since the weather was okay (cloudy, but not raining), we headed down the 20 mile road to the lake.

Before you get to Aleknagik Lake, there are a couple of small lakes on either side of the road. We stopped and took some pictures there.


Then it was back on the road for the next mile up to the lake itself. Natalie really loved it. We took a bunch of pictures. There was a great view of the lake and surrounding mountains, and plenty of people were ferrying their groceries and whatnot across the lake to the City of Aleknagik on the north shore. There was also a float plane parked near the boat ramp.

On the way back into town, we were cruising right along when I came over a hill and there was a moose and her calf. Natalie was very excited. I only snapped a few pictures before they trotted off into the brush, and mom wasn't able to get out in time to get a good picture with her regular film camera. Here's the two pictures I took in regular size and with close-ups.

That's the second time I've seen a moose and calf on Lake Road. This time it was right outside the Dillingham city limits. I'm usually pretty unlucky in being able to see wildlife, so I was worried that Natalie wouldn't get to see a moose while she was here. I shouldn't have worried so much. My luck has turned, and moose are all over the place now.

We're headed down to culture camp to help Samara out with teaching the local kids how to do things like clean and cut fish for smoking. I hope to get some more pictures down there.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Aw, baby moose!

Say hi to your family for me. :)

Barbara said...

That moose calf is just the cutest. Maybe your family is lucky for you, Aaron.