Monday, March 16, 2009

Alaska, you bastard!

Alaska, you tricked me.

Last week, it was above freezing most of the week. We had puddles of icy water everywhere as the accumulated snow melted. It was good weather for enjoying the outdoors, since 35-45 degree weather now feels like sweltering heat to my accustomed body.

Then, this morning, it was cold again. Alaska cold. As I write this blog post, it's -2 degrees outside, with 22 mph winds, gusting to 30 mph. I can't really describe how unpleasant that feels on the skin. It's run-to-your-car-and-then-sit-in-it-shivering weather.

And it's supposed to last all week.

At least it was nice yesterday. I went sledding again with Anthony. We went to a different hill near the Nerka "subdivision" and the sledding was awesome. There were already a few kids there when we arrived, but they didn't mind sharing their hill. I was most impressed with the 3-year-old kid who fearlessly sledded down the hill before he began the ascent back to the top. It took him twice as long as the other kids on his stubby little legs, and he was just cute. If I ever have a three-year-old, I want him to be an awesomely brave sledding 3-year-old.

No sledding this week, though. Now it's time to hide in my warm apartment again.

No comments: