Saturday, July 19, 2008

Canyonero!

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smell like a steak and seats thirty-five?

Canyonero!

We have purchased an Alaska-or-bust vehicle.

It's a 1995 Honda Passport. Features include four wheel drive, fairly new BF Goodrich offroad tires (with newly patched hole from a roofing nail--doh!), and clean enough to eat off of! Seriously, the engine bay is sparkling, the red paint is nice, and the interior looks like it's been detailed. It has plenty of cargo room, and a full-size spare on the back. It has working A/C, a CD player and cruise control. I have no fear that it will make the drive to Seattle, and then be a great car for use in the Alaskan bush.

Without further ado, here's some pictures of what $3350 will get you. (Asking price was $3600 and his bare minimum was $3400. Samara offered $3300 and we met in the middle.)



There's some clear places where the thing was a bit damaged by a previous owner, such as a cracked grille and cracked fender guard. That stuff happened before the last owner got it, and my guess is that it was damage from offroading. The tires, as I mentioned, are BF Goodrich offroading tires, and when I got the nail-hole patched today, I noticed that it had wheel spacers. That widens the track and allows for bigger tires, which are offroading concerns.

It also has a hitch and the wiring for pulling a trailer.

Overall, a good purchase, and my first SUV. I have overcome my dislike for them by convincing myself that they're okay when you actually NEED four wheel drive.

So there you go--one obstacle to the Alaska move is down. And Aleks, I promise I'll do a more detailed post on my Alaska-bound scout rifle, complete with pictures. I've been a bit busy--still studying for the bar exam, and working on other cars.

1 comment:

Aleks said...

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride


Very cool... that's a nice looking SUV. It sounds like a great deal for $3350. It certainly sounds a lot better than the ones you looked at previously.