Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

So how did we get to this? We're headed to Alaska.

It's a bit of a long story. It all started last winter (the winter of 2007), when a fellow law student at the University of Kentucky (and fellow Patterson School of Dipomacy grad), Ross Lovely, told me about a job he'd just turned down in Dillingham, Alaska. It was a law clerk position for a superior court judge. Interested, I contacted the judge, Fred Torrisi, by e-mail and asked if it was too late to apply. He replied that it wasn't, and I applied.

Months passed, and he told me that he was giving his current law clerk more time to decide whether she wanted to stay. It was February by the time he told me that Ruby was going to clerk for him for another year. Samara was disappointed, as was I. She wanted me to look for other jobs in Alaska, but I figured it would be easier to stay in Lexington.

Fast-forward to the end of June, 2008. Judge Torrisi e-mails me and says that Ruby is leaving after all, and he wonders if I'm still interested. I consult Samara and get an enthusiastic response. Neither of us had found jobs in Lexington yet, so we were ready for some adventure in Alaska. I told the judge I was interested still. A phone interview quickly followed, and we seemed to get along well. He sent my background check over to Anchorage and told me he'd get back to me the next day.

Later that evening I got an e-mail. It read: "I guess you aren't a terrorist. Start packing."

And that's how we got the point where we're getting ready to move to Alaska to begin a new adventure. It's just for a year if we hate it, and for forever if we love it! We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: