Saturday, December 20, 2008

Friday's events--decorations and ewwww, what is that?

It is my job as the outreach and education coordinator to plan community events, this means all the potlucks, holiday parties and fundraisers. I spent all day decorating 3 rooms at SAFE. I can't say that I did an awesome job or anything, but I did the best I could with the donated christmas decorations. (Which by the way, if anyone wants to buy clearance lights after Christmas and donate them to SAFE that would be awesome. ) In the room that Santa is going to be in, it kinda looks like some one vomited tinsel on everything, but like I said I'm using 100% donated items.

I took a short lunch break since I had been so busy with the decorations. Aaron and I stopped by the post office. We received boxes from Aunt MeLette and a box from Ann. (thank you to you both) We opened MeLette's box which was like a care package (thank you!) and nothing was wrapped. But when we went to open Ann's our gifts were wrapped. So I guess I'll just have to wait until thursday to see what the batteries are for that Ann left unwrapped.

When I went back to work, I started looking for the people that were helping me before lunch. I looked in one area and I saw 2 of the people. This is what they were up to...

Yes, that is a carcass of some small animal. It was in the process of getting cut up so it could be make into stew. This is another picture of it in case you couldn't figure out what it is.

Notice the sharp teeth. Now imagine it with fur and a paddle like tail. Did you figure it out? Here's a clue...

Yes, that thing that was sitting on the table was a beaver. A girl that I worked with trapped it. She is from one of the neighboring villages and she went back home this past week. She brought back some beaver bits and some fish strips (think thick, salty, smoked, fish jerky).

I never thought that I would come back from a lunch break to find a dead beaver on the table. It was weird, gross and very funny. This would never happen in the lower 48.

No comments: