Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Slow Day

Well, we didn't do a lot today. We woke up late, and watched a bunch of television.

Lunch was good. Samara fried up some bologna and onions. We made sandwiches on Alaska brand wheat bread with some American cheese. It was actually pretty tasty.

Before dinner, we figured out we needed a can opener. We headed into town and bought some bread, a can opener, some soy sauce and a pork steak. We also filled up the rental car with gas, so that we could take it back early this next week. We'll be car-free for a while, since renting a car is just too expensive.

Dinner was a really great stir-fry that Samara made. We had a candy bar for dessert. A Snickers is 95 cents in Alaska. Crazy. Samara bought an avocado (manager's special--$1). Even though she carefully selected it, it turned out to be bad. Kind of disappointing.

After dinner, I decided that I should take a walk. Yesterday, we took a walk down toward town, and took a left down a side street that seemed to go towards the harbor. We made it down to the beach, and then turned around and came home. I wanted to make it a little further, but Samara wasn't feeling up to a long hike tonight.

I headed off down the street, and made a left again. Almost immediately on the right is the yard full of containers. I guess that's where they offload stuff when it arrives on the barge.


To the left, there's a small, unkempt cemetery.


I also saw a not uncommon sight in Dillingham--a boat sitting in a yard.


When I got down to the beach, I took a few more pictures. There's a retaining wall along the beach, and above it are the bluffs that our apartments (Beluga Bluffs) are named for.


I walked along the path on inside the retaining wall for a while. It was getting dark, and I wanted to be able to get back before it was completely dark. On the other hand, I wanted to see if I could get around to the end of the point, beneath where our apartment building is. I made it around to where the retaining wall ends, and there was an area of flats where the tide was obviously out.


To my relief, there also seemed to be a road leading up the bluff. I walked on up and ended up on the next road over from our street. I just had to walk down to where there's a street that cuts in front of the Moravian Church, and I was able to get back home before the light was completely gone. I think I'll see if I can get Samara to go walking with me tomorrow.

I did see some wildlife, by the way. It was seagulls. That's it so far.

6 comments:

teddy said...

beautiful pics Aaron :)
I love to venture off sometimes myself......

Kentucky Kouponer said...

Samara and Aaron. you guys are pretty much amazing. I loves yall!

kieran said...

Peoples of Alaska!!!!

I have heard through the wildlife grapevine that you are in need of care packages. Funny, I happen to know EXACTLY what goes in those (i.e. ships well and tastes good/has practical use). Have no fear, help is on the way. Look for a big priority box coming your way Tuesday. BTW, is Aaron ready to do the whole "lawyer" thing? Just figured I'd ask now instead of first thing Tuesday morning our time :)

kieran said...

BTW. Quick question. Are boats in the yard there similar to cars in the yard here, or is there some other reason?

Kennedy says she misses you guys and Wilgus says "Wah."

Aaron said...

Thanks for the care packages, folks. It's appreciated.

I'm definitely ready to do some lawyering come Tuesday morning. I have no idea what I'm going to be doing, but since I've gotten here, it's basically just been sitting around watching TV. So some work would be nice.

I'd say boats in the yard here are like cars in the yard there. Of course, there are a bunch of cars in yards here too. No one seems to throw much of anything away, actually, since there's no where to throw it to. The boats are all in "dry dock"... some in people's yards, and some in the actual dry dock boatyards. It's interesting. I'll try to get more pictures sometime.

Unknown said...

I have been slacking on reading your blog. But, as soon as Scott goes back to work and we have more than zero dollars, we will send you a care package!