Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tour of Dillingham and the shopping trip


Yesterday we decided to drive out to "Lake Road." It has another name, but the locals just call it "lake road." So, 18 miles out lake road, there is a lake. We're not sure if it was the right lake, but we stopped and took pictures. It was a pretty drive out there. There are some mountains along the way.

See, lake. Pretty. The only real problem is Aaron has been wanting to see a bear or a moose and our landlord told us that out lake road is where we might see one. We didn't. But as soon as we see some fun wildlife, we'll let you know.

As we went back into town, we took a few pictures. The following is a picture is the view of the mountain from the post office.
I also took a picture of the local Ace Hardware Store. They had a display of dyson vacuums. The DC07, which is what I have was $550.00. When I bought mine, it was priced at $400, but I had a coupon and ended up only paying $300. We went there to make a key for me for the apartment. They also had ATVs for sale in the basement. I kinda want one now.

I also decided to take a picture of the local Inn. If anyone wants to visit us and they don't want to stay on our extra twin bed, the Bay Inn is where you can stay. I believe that a night there is $110.00 for one night.
After a had what I would call a informal interview, we went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. I was shocked at the prices. I knew they were going to be high, but $10.99 for a 12 pack of soda was crazy. We had to pick up things like a set of pots and pans, plastic forks and spoons. As we were shopping we came across a few things that were a bit strange. For example Doritos Toasted Corn flavor. So this is basically just unflavored Doritos. Huh.
The last thing that amused me was a HUGE pallet of Vienna sausage. Did you know that you can buy bulk vienna sausage in Dillingham? Well, you know now that you can, if for some reason you wanted to.

We finished up our meager shopping spree buying mostly carbs since carbs are cheaper than anything else. We now have a set of the cheapest pots in Dillingham, another 12 pack of soda, 2lbs of rice, 6 cup of noodles, 8 ramen noodles, shampoo, dish washing liquid, cups, forks, spoons, an onion, a green pepper, a bag of chips, and 2lbs of potatoes.

Today, we are planning to buy pillows. We are currently using towels rolled up in a pillow case. It might be cheaper to have someone send us some pillows. But we'll see.

3 comments:

teddy said...

I love the vienna pic! It's classic :) The scenery is beautiful though...sucks that everything is sooooo expensive though, thinking of you both :) Miss you!!

Matthew said...

Mmmm... sausage.

Ann said...

I'm a little jealous that you guys to explore and have an adventure! I hope you'll get some good wildlife spotting in soon.

I had dinner with The Boys last night, and they were asking after you. All the non-proft gays miss you!