Tuesday, January 27, 2009

An Adventure in Anchorage Alaska--Day 1

I had to leave today from work to catch a plane to the large metropolis known as Anchorage. I sat next to a nice man that works at Bristol Bay Native Association. He was taking the red eye to Orlando, Florida. Poor guy. I was glad to be off the small-ish, cold plane in Anchorage. The guy pointed out the volcano that they are calling for an eruption within the next few days. If you look past the plane engine--the high mountain on the horizon...Yep, that's a volcano. I wasn't impressed either. But if it erupts, it might cause a few flight delays.
When we landed, it was dark. I recognized the familiar orange glow of city life. The plane ride only took about 1 hour and 20 minutes. And because the plane is so small, it just stops on around the terminal area. We have to walk on the ice and packed snow to the door. It was a bit slippery.


I made it to the hotel and I was starving. So I went shopping. I picked up a pair of cute peep toe shoes for $6 at payless and bought some earrings at Hot topic. As I was walking back to the hotel, I started looking for places to eat. I almost ate at some steak house when I saw the signs for the Glacier Brewhouse. I ordered a mediocure margarita made with the blonde ale. I'm sure the ale was fine, but there wasn't enough salty lime goodness to make it a good margarita. The highlight of the meal was the seared Ahi tuna. OMG! It was nice & pretty.
I am looking forward to another day of shopping tomorrow and I am hoping I can find an outback steakhouse and a taco bell. That would really make the trip complete. In the mean time, I will have to go to a grantee meeting.

1 comment:

Robyn Wade said...

Ohh, life in the big city!! I can't believe that you live in a place with no Taco Bell, I would die.