Saturday, January 31, 2009

Anchorage--Day 3 & 4

I thought I should post a few photos from the view I had from my room. I didn't get to see much of Anchorage during the day because I was in meetings all day and the sun sets about 5-ish. However, I did manage to get a few. As it turns out, I was by a water way and I had no idea until I took these pictures.

I also had a chance to stop by an Arby's and get a fountain soda. You may think to yourself, well that's not such a big deal, but it is for me. There is no fountain soda in Dillingham. All sodas come in can or bottles.

Here are some pics from around Anchorage. There are mountains in the background. It was kinda neat. I didn't notice them until day 3. The meetings took up most of my days and I was glad to be out doing things in the evening.


I went to dinner at La Cabana Restaurant. It was ok. I had a huge margarita and I ordered the mole enchiladas. I liked the mole sauce, but I wasn't impressed with the enchiladas. I wasn't too impressed with dinner in general, but what can you do. There was little that could compete with the roasted quail and the pork roast from the previous night.



And again, I thought I would take a picture of Brian and Kim. They really were nice people. I bet they got a bit tired of me hanging around, making them go shopping with me. It was really sweet of them to show me around Anchorage. After dinner, we went shopping at Wal-Mart. I know, I know. It was sick and at one point I almost had a panic attack. There were just too many people in on place, grabbing things in front of me and kids running around screaming. It was all too much and I was glad when it was over. I ended up spending about $100 there on more personal hygine products, yarn and pyrex dishes. And that ended my night in Anchorage.
(Just a side note, I think Kim was pretty tired by this point and Brian was acting a bit zany.)

The next day, I didn't have to be at the airport until 10:30 so I was hoping to sleep in a bit. Instead, housekeeping was banging on my door at 8:15am. After that I couldn't sleep so I got up and went down to the restaurant and waited for Kim & Brian. (I was giving them a ride to the airport) That is when I found out that my camera batteries were dead.

I had planned on taking a picture of the volcano, but the cloud coverage was so thick I would not have been able to take a picture anyway. I also wanted to get a picture of the plane being de-iced before take off. That is scary to think that the plane needs something like that. But the good news is, I made it home safely.

No comments: