Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday breakfast (roasted pears) and the events of last night

Before I get started with breakfast, I wanted to mention that Aaron needed a haircut. I have no intention of paying $40 for Aaron to get a hair cut here in Dillingham, when we have a perfectly good set of beard and mustache trimmers here. That's right, we don't even have a set of hair clippers. It was getting pretty bad. He hasn't had a hair cut since Tim Evans cut it about a week before we left Kentucky.


After about an hour and a half of trimming his hair, we finally got his hair to look not as bad. Saramay came over in the midst of the struggle and went home to get her dog clippers. She arrived just as I was finishing up. He looks better. I like it when he has short hair.
Look at the nice shapely head he has. And he even trimmed his beard and mustache. He cleans up pretty well.

And now for breakfast.

When I came home from Anchorage, I realized that Aaron hadn't really used any of the fruit or vegetables from the box this week (or last) and the pears were not going to last much longer. It was then that I decided I wanted to make roasted pears. I looked at a few recipes and decided to do something on my own. I call it roasted pears with an orange maple sauce.

3 pears, halved and cored
1/4 c. butter (do not use margarine, use butter)
1/4 c. maple syrup (use the real stuff, not Mrs. Butterworth)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tbls vanilla extract (not the fake stuff)
1 orange (zest and juice)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine butter, maple syurp, brown sugar, vanilla and orange juice in a small sauce pan, bring to a slow boil and then remove from heat. Place pears in a oven safe dish (pyrex or the like). Pour butter sauce over pears and add orange zest. Roast for 40 minutes or until pears are golden brown.

I really enjoyed this. It is not as sweet as it sounds. It is sweet, but it would pair well with cake or ice cream. We had it with english muffins. It was pretty good. I even got Aaron to eat a bit or two of it. He doesn't like cooked fruit, pies or things that are too sweet, but he was nice and said it was tasty.

3 comments:

Robyn Wade said...

Wow, those pears look amazing!!

Barbara said...

Yeah, what Robyn said. I'm making those the next time pears are on sale. Looks yummy.

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

you know, ryan doesn't like cooked fruit, either...ugh. what's up with that? i love all kinds, though. so does camden. we enjoy all the cobblers and other yummy treats i bake up (i do have a huge sweet tooth...) without him. ;) the pears look great! i'll have to try it sometime. :)