Saturday, February 21, 2009

Anchorage training--Day five, six and seven

I had a lot of things to do while I was in Anchorage.
  1. go to Special Education conference
  2. finish up grant report
  3. go to positive behavioral support training
  4. shop for items I can't get in Dillingham (bulk food, spices, exotic food, clothes)
  5. go to dinner every night
  6. mail items back to Dillingham that can't fit in to the suitcase. (50 lb limit in suitcases)
  7. get my eyebrows waxed
  8. buy ammo for Aaron
  9. meet up with Saramay for drinks
  10. go to Mad Myrna's
  11. pick up a dog at the airport at midnight the night before we leave
  12. leave Anchorage
Guess which one of these I didn't do. I'm gonna give you a hint. I have no idea as to what kind of guns Aaron has.

At some point, I managed to go to Sam's club and buy some bulk food, such as a very large bottle of balsamic vinegar, a very large wedge of Parmesan cheese, Havarti cheese, bisquick (we just don't have that here) and a giant can of cashews for Aaron.

I also managed to go to an City Market (think local co-op store) which I had to buy stuff for other people (which I will never do again--this takes up valuable space and weight in my suitcase) such as gluten-free flour, spring roll wrappers, hawaiian salt, & chinese 5 spice. These things were not cheap and had to be packed in one of my checked bags. The nice thing about cold Alaska, is that i just kept all the refridgerator items in the car and because the airplane is so cold, I used a tub as a checked bag and just let it go into cargo storage.

Everything that wouldn't fit in my suitcase, carry one or checked tub had to go to in a tub to be mailed. This is Erin and myself waiting in line at the post office at the Anchorage air port. It stays open until midnight. Now, bear in mind that each of these tubs we are mailing are about 60 pounds each. I have one and Erin has 2. She bought cat food, dog food and cat litter. And man that stuff is heavy. As long as the tubs are under 75 pounds, we were able to send them via USPS. We could even use parcel post since it's basically a straight shot to Dillingham from where we sent them.



As we tried to be back to our hotel we saw some strange looking "cows" at the air port. And by "cows" I mean moose. Please notice the fed ex cargo and plane in the back ground. (And I have played with all the settings on my camera, you all will just have to deal with blue snow pictures)
The mountains are nice around Anchorage. They are much bigger than the ones around here. They seem to go on forever in to the sky. Some of them reach so far in to the clouds, you can't see the peaks.

At some point during this trip Erin and I went to an Indian/Nepalese restaurant. It was called Yak and Yeti. It was pretty good. I had some steamed buns with spicy meat. Erin had the saag paneer. This is the best Indian food in town. It is also the only Indian restaurant in Anchorage. We thought it was a bit funny because Erin's husband, Anthony, is a yeti/big foot fan. I will have to bring Aaron here if I ever get a chance to do so.

The last real adventure of the week end was the trip to Mad Myrna's .
It was an adventure. It made me miss home. How could anyone have that much fabulous and not miss Kentucky? We met up with Saramay who had never been to a drag show. Saramay wasn't used to so much fabulous in one day. Erin seemed right at home. We even had some creepy troll trollin' on us at one point. I believe he was asked to leave.
Thh last stop of the night was to go to the airport to pick up Erin's new puppy a shiba inu that she named Sophie. It is so cute and hyper and after being in a crate for almost 24 hours it was also stinky. But after a quick bath in the hotel bathtub, she just smelled like a barn puppy which was much better than poo covered puppy. This is Erin cuddling her new non-stinky puppy.

And this is Sofie. I Like the "f" spelling of sofie instead of the "ph" spelling (Sophie). The "f" spelling seems like an older more, ethnic spelling. I haven't talked about the spelling over with Erin so she's just gonna have to deal with how I spell her dog's name. And here she is in all of her fuzzy cutiness, not Erin, Sofie.

And thus ends my trip. I was so glad to come home. I missed Aaron a bunch. And for those that might worry about his eating habit and vitamin intake while I am away, I did buy him some Flintstone chewables while I was there so if I have to go on a trip again, he can eat all the hot dogs, chips and pretzels he wants and still get some vitamins.

1 comment:

Erin said...

This post made me laugh out loud a number of times. I liked the picture of us at the drag show. I hadn't really thought of the spelling of Sophie's name until now. I think I'll go back and forth with the ethnic and non-ethnic version.