Friday, February 13, 2009

Alaska Weather Report

Let me start by apologizing that I don't have pictures. I'm sure it's more interesting to read about Alaska weather when there's pictures of the snow.

Last night, the wind started blowing really hard. I had never really experienced "blinding" snow, but this was it. The snowflakes are blowing around so hard that they sting your eyes, and you can't really look around. You've just got to put your hood up and trudge wherever you're going.

As Samara and I were getting ready for bed last night, the wind was blowing really loud. It wasn't a howling wind, really, but more of a low rumbling wind. It was blowing hard enough that our large picture window in the living room was visibly bowing inwards with the hard gusts. That kind of wind really has a tendency to create snowdrifts.

This morning, when I went to clear the snow off our car windows, the brush wasn't working--I had the use the squeegee side of the scraper. This morning's snow is big, wet, nasty snow that sticks to everything. You know how they say that Eskimos have hundreds of words for snow? Well, I can believe it. There are so many different types of snow.

As I look out my window right now, the snow is coming down fairly hard, and it's still very sticky and wet. We have a blizzard warning in effect until 10am. The wind is still blowing. On the plus side, it's warmer. Only 33 degrees. Snow accumulation should be between 2 and 6 inches today. It's funny how that used to be amazing weather in Kentucky. We get that kind of accumulation every couple of weeks in Dillingham.

I'll try to get some pictures later.

No comments: