Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Office Makeover

Samara is in Anchorage, slaving away at a grant report in between attending conference sessions. In the meantime, the judge is out of town and I'm left to my own devices at the courthouse. Since we've decided to stay for a second year, I decided that my office could use a little cosmetic help. It was not particularly well set-up for my tastes, and it needed some decoration.

Well, don't take my word for it. Take a look at the "before" pictures.


As you can see, there are a number of issues. It's a mess, for one. Also, I have to walk an entire circuit of the office to get out from behind my desk. There's also not much decoration on the walls, and I haven't really put my personal touch on it. My printer is also stuck in the corner. That sucks because when I print envelopes, I have to feed them one at a time and then run back to my computer to hit print.

So I did some rearranging. First, I moved the looming cabinet and hung up my diplomas.

I think it added quite the personal touch. You can also see the bundle of sticks and peacock feather that was the last law clerk's contribution to the office art.

And yes, that's the Canyonero in the parking lot. You can also tell that I've moved my desk up against the window. That leaves a nice space for me to walk through to get to my desk. Now I can jump up and go right out my office door when I need to grab a file.

You can see the other art piece contributed by the judge's first law clerk. Her father visited from China and painted the piece to the right of the window. My printer is also now on the desk, which means I can reach it without getting up.

The looming file cabinet had to go somewhere, so it's in the opposite corner. I also hung a bulletin board and re-centered my map of Alaska on the other walls.

And finally, I snagged a more comfortable chair for any visitors. I think my office is much more pleasing now. I'm happy with the makeover.

Really, it didn't take that long. I did little bits over two days and still had time to push some paper and grease the wheels of justice.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Very nice, Aaron. I think you've raised the bar of Rural Alaskan Law Office Chic a notch or two. It looks much more hospitable and user friendly. Nice job.