Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Anchorage--Day 2 (foodie delight)

So day two started out with a $4.00 Starbucks coffee. Mmmm...sweet latte goodness. Then I went to meetings. All day meetings. It was boring. The good thing that happens is some awesome networking. I met this nice girl from Petersburg (which has better fiber optic internet and cell phones) named Kim. Her and her husband are staying here in Anchorage. She got a companion flight for cheap so he came along. His name is Brian. They are really sweet people.

They invited me out for dinner with them to Orso. This was a pretty pricey place to go, but since I didn't eat lunch or breakfast I thought I would go all out for dinner. It was worth it.
I got the house special which is a 4 course meal. The first course was a cheese tart (that I forgot to take a picture of) with an arugula salad on top of it. Think mini quiche with a salad on top of it. It was pretty good. The next course was roasted quail. It was FREAKIN' AWESOME! This is a whole roasted little bird. There was only about 4 bites of meat on the sucker, but it was so good and juicy. The cream sauce was so good I almost asked the server for a biscuit to put it on, but I decided not to. The quail came on a bed of lentils.

The next course was apple roasted pork on a bed of mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. The pork was so tender, it just fell it apart. This too was just so awesome. I'm not sure what sauce came on it, but it was great.

And then for the finale...Cherry cake stuff. I have to say, it was too hard to beat the quail and the pork so the dessert was a bit of a disappointment. And by the time the dessert came, I was full, very full. But it was pretty.
Kim had the same meal I did, only she choose to have the 4 courses of wine as well. By the dessert course, she was "not present." (Her words, not mine) She was happy the wine with this course was smaller.

After dinner, we went to Michael's, Bed Bath & Beyond, & Target in my rental car. Yeah, I broke down and got a rental, mostly because it would cost more in taxi's than to rent a car. When I went to put things in the trunk, this is what a tag hanging in the back looked like...
I'm guessing this means that if you pull the tag, a man jumps out of your trunk, running. Are people really that scared of getting locked in their trunk or abducted and put into a trunk? Or is a selling point of a Ford Focus the fact that a body can fit in to the trunk? I'm not sure about this one. At least the tag glows in the dark.

After shopping, we rolled through a Taco Bell. I bought a bean burrito & one of those cheesy bacon double stacks. I planned on eating for breakfast since breakfast in the hotel is stupid expensive. I was excited about Taco Bell. Really excited.
It almost has normal prices. I miss that. I paid $4.10 for a 10 pack of Irish Springs soap. I had not been so happy to see those kinds of prices in my life. In Dillingham, I usually pay about $4.00 for 2 bars of soap. I am so excited. I also bought some shampoo for $2.00, this is $4.00 cheaper than Dillingham prices. Who knew I would get so excited about personal care products.

1 comment:

Vincent Purcell said...

So I made the mistake of reading this while at work, and really hungry! lol

I'm glad you're having a good time in the city, and maybe one day we'll see you back down here in the overgrown suburbs :P

Also, speaking of small quail, it really makes you wonder how Cheney shot his friend in the face with buckshot hunting those. Also, why anyone would shoot at something so small (and tasty...).

:)