Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rain, rain, go away...

It's officially colder in Lexington, Kentucky than it is in Dillingham, Alaska. We've been enjoying balmy temperatures in the mid-30s now for a couple of days.

Along with that comes rain. Rain is really bad here in the winter. Anchorage has closed their schools for two days in a row because of it. It melts the ice, but not completely. Our roads are all sheets of ice with puddles of water on top. Walking anywhere requires careful steps or cleats.

It may be hard to believe, but we're all praying for freezing temperatures and more snow. I can handle 20 degrees and snowing. I can't handle 38 degrees and raining, especially when there's already a foot of hard-packed snow all around.

It's like Alaska wants us to experience all the possible weather it can throw at us. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of driving on ice so slippery that it was nearly impossible to stop, drive through snow deep enough that I'd worry about getting stuck, and through water so deep that I was worried it might come into the car.

Ah, variety. It's the spice of life.

I'd like my weather a little more bland, please.

1 comment:

Vincent Purcell said...

Oh yes. It was absolutely horrible walking to class this morning in like 9 degrees. Tomorrow wind chills are supposed to be around 10 to 15 below, and the temperature proper at 0 degrees. I am going to die. Ugh. FCPS got their school called off due to cold! But UK have no such sense.