Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kale is the best food ever.

We get a box of fresh fruit and vegetables from an organic farm called Full Circle Farms. For $45 delivered, we get a fairly large box of really good food every week. For instance, here's what we got this week:

1 Acorn squash
4 golden delicious apples
3 star crimson pears
1 bunch carrots
1 extra bunch of carrots (Samara substituted this for something she didn't want)
2 ears of sweet corn
1 bunch of green onions
4 pluots
4 kiwifruit
1 pound of roma tomatoes
1/3 pound of mushrooms
1/3 pound of salad mix
1 bunch red kale

That's right--this week, we got some kale. Samara wanted to substitute something else, because she has an irrational kale prejudice. (Read: she doesn't like it.) But I wouldn't let her! I wanted to try the kale.

So it arrived in the box on Wednesday, and today I decided I should find a good kale recipe. (Samara sure wasn't going to cook it!) It turns out though, that kale is the sort of thing that you put in soup. Samara was sick today, and she made chicken soup while she was home. She didn't put any kale in it.

Rather than make another soup, I went for a different method of kale cooking. I made kale chips. Basically what you do is take the kale, remove the stalk, break it up into bit size pieces and then toss it with some salt and oil. Then you bake it on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Really easy.


Turns out, it makes it kind of crispy, a bit like a potato chip. I put it all on a plate.

Then I ate some.

In fact, I ate a whole bunch of it.

I hope I don't get sick. I probably ate half of the bunch of kale that I cooked. I'm not sure what a kale overdose does to your digestive tract, but you gotta bear in mind that there's oil all over that kale. Like two tablespoons for the whole batch, which means I basically ate a tablespoon of oil and a bunch of green leaves.

Still, it tastes pretty good. There's definitely the greeny aftertaste, unlike a potato chip, but mostly it just tastes like crispy salty goodness. I kept eating more and more.

I'm gonna take some to work tomorrow, since we ran out of potato chips at the house and I haven't gone shopping.

(Oh, and here's a shout-out to Mamie if she's reading this! She's interviewing to be the judge's law clerk next year. This is what passes for entertainment in Alaska, Mamie!)

No comments: