Monday, October 20, 2008

Roasted garlic & Pumpkin Soup with beer bread

It's late October and I started craving the pumpkin soup again. I usually roast my own pumpkins and the garlic roasts under them as the pumpkins cook. No this year. I haven't seen any pumpkins up here and I'm sure once they do get up here they'll be $50.00 each. So I bought the canned stuff which is not as good, but it's not that bad either. Here's the easy recipe for pumpkin soup.

1 large can o' pumpkin (not the pie filling)
1 carton of chicken stock
2 roasted garlic bulbs
1 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Blend garlic with a bit of chicken stock in blender. In a large crock pot add pumpkin, garlic,and chicken stock. Set on high for 2-3 hours. A half hour before you want to eat, add the heavy cream and salt and pepper to your liking. You can add things like nutmeg, hot sauce or sour cream if you want. I added a bit of nutmeg and topped it off with cracked pepper.

This is the super easy beer bread recipe:
3 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz of beer (the cheaper the better)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine all dry stuff and add beer. Mix until you have what looks like a wet doughy mess. Pour mess into greased loaf pan. Cook for 1 hour. Ta-da.

This is what it looks like after Aaron has eaten some of it. I'm always surprised that he will eat some of the stuff I cook.
I tried to get some of my peeps from work to come over to help me eat all 4 quarts of this stuff. Thankfully Sarahmay came the rescue. But there is still tons of this stuff in my fridge. I'll be taking a bowl of it to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great recipe - and I love the beer bread recipe - no more $6 a box mixes for me - now to see if I can cook it in the crockpot-

Anyway the purpose of this post is to find out how to roast a pumpkin, I would love to know how since this is one of the few things I can grow - throw seed out and the following year think - what did I plant here :)

Anyway Thanks