Friday, November 7, 2008

Snow Weasel!

Samara and I just returned home for lunch, and as we were approaching the apartment, I saw an animal bounding away, underneath our neighbor's truck and into the snowy brush.

My first thought was squirrel, because of the way it moved, but obviously we don't really have squirrels here the way that Kentucky does. Then it seemed smaller, and I thought chipmunk, but again... this isn't Kentucky. As we neared the apartment, I could see that it was long, white and seemed to have a black tail.

Snow Weasel!

Now, the thing is: I have no idea what small mammals are resident in Alaska. This is the first one I've seen, and I haven't done any research. But I feel confident in saying that I have sighted a snow weasel. It may have some other "technical" name, but it was weaselly, white and in the snow.

I promised a picture of Samara in the hospital, and she consented, so here it is...

But, in all fairness, I have a better picture of Samara, cooking Thai food for our friend Bobbie's birthday dinner.

A belated happy birthday to my sister, by the way. Samara was still under the weather Thursday and I went to work, and we just completely forgot to call and wish her a happy birthday. We're bad siblings! If she's counting backwards now, I believe she's 29 years old.

2 comments:

Jeb A. Deezer said...

Now that you've found the weasel, try to find one of them thar sasquatches. Also, take a picture of one. Maybe a picture of a sasquatch and a weasel all friendly and playing, like those ones that have big dogs and itty bitty kittens. (Pro Photo Tip: It would be funnier if you found a really big snow weasel and a wee little sasquatch).

kieran said...

I am amused that suddenly you have become a cross between Robert Frost and the late Steve Irwin (R.I.P.) Just don't let the weasel sting you with its barb. However, on the off chance it does, use some snowy frozen adjectives to describe how it feels.