Sunday, November 23, 2008

Super Chill Tragedy

It's quite different living in a place where going out to the dumpster is a big production. I've got to have on boots, and those boots have to have some kind of cleats so that I don't slip on the packed ice. I also have to wear my coat and keep the hood up, otherwise my ears will freeze. It's dark already at 6:00pm, and the snow is blowing and swirling around in the freezing wind.

Samara and I just returned from the grocery store (after a final day of training at SAFE). My drink of choice here in remote Alaska has been Super Chill Classic Cola.

It's a generic cola, obviously. Most people think it tastes like RC Cola, so maybe that's why I like it. It's also only $5 for a 12-pack, which is the cheapest soda here. By contrast, a 12-pack of regular Pepsi is $11, or $8 on sale.

So you can understand why I'd be drinking Super Chill cola. It gives me the caffeine I need in the morning, and I like drinking soda with lunch and dinner. It was shocking to me, then, when we got into the AC Value today, and there was no Super Chill cola! It was all gone. We asked the boy stocking, and he said they probably wouldn't get more this winter, because it's a barge item. Now that food is only really arriving by plane, no more cheap soda.

They did still have Super Chill Grape, so I'm going to try it.

It doesn't have caffeine, but I'm hoping it'll be tasty enough to substitute for my lunch and evening sodas. Otherwise I'm gonna have to buy some expensive Pepsi! That sucks.

At the SAFE training, they fed us. On Saturday, we had a beef stew. We didn't have bread with that. We had Pilot Bread. Sailor Boy Pilot Bread crackers.

For folks that have lived in Alaska their entire lives, this is standard fare. It is a large round cracker and is unsalted. Apparently they expand a lot in your stomach and are really filling. All I know is that it was good with butter and salt with my beef stew, so I bought some to eat at home.

1 comment:

Jeb A. Deezer said...

Even more of a tragedy than the price is the fact that Pepsi doesn't actually taste good. RC is better than Pepsi so I might assume that this Super Chill is, too. Shoulda stocked up on it while you had the chance, but I don't know how you could've even expected that they would stop stocking it.

With each post I read, Alaska seems like a weirder and weirder place. For the most part it sounds cool though, except for the huge expenses and slow Internet tubes.