Sunday, November 2, 2008

What to do on a Saturday Night in Dillingham

What is there to do in Dillingham? Short answer: not much. Long answer: make food, invite friends.

I didn't had a chance to use my food processor (the one that I got for my birthday) until last night. In our box of vegetables we got a very small head of cabbage, a couple purple onions, carrots and some golden beets. I had no idea what to do with the beets until I thought about the cabbage, then all I could think about is coleslaw. I made Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw. This is not the coleslaw your grandpa made with fried chicken. Here is the recipe:

1 small cabbage--shredded (or 1/2 a large)
1/2 lb carrots-shredded
1lb golden beets-shredded
1/2 purple onion-sliced thin

Dressing:
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 tbl honey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or you can use fresh jalapenos--I didn't have any)
1/4 c. canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

Toss all the shredded vegetable until all the carrots, cabbage and beets are not in big lumps. In another bowl mix honey and vinegar until dissolved. Slowly add in the oil until it thickens. Add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Add dressing to cabbage mixture. Ta-da. Coleslaw.

After the coleslaw is made, you invite some people over who help you eat dinner. And that my friends is what you do on a Saturday night in Dillingham.

1 comment:

Aleks said...

Heh, that sounds awesome. Good thing you have friends to invite over, otherwise on Saturday night you'd just be making food. And that would be just like Monday night... or Tuesday... or even Wednesday!