Monday, November 10, 2008

Winter Comes

As I gazed out of my office window today, I spied a mammoth raven atop a hillock of snow.

Yes, it was snowing again in Alaska. And we have very large birds.

As Samara and I drove to work this morning, we actually passed a pile of snow that had been plowed off the streets. It was at least 20 feet high and 20 feet in diameter. That's a lot of snow.

And we've barely begun.

Check out the drift that's blown up again the side of our apartment.

Around the back side of our house, here is what our living room window looks like from the outside.

That's where we get all the good views of the bay. I walked through the snow drifts and took a picture of the bay as well.

I tried to snap a picture on the way back to the house that showed how much snow I was sinking into.

That's a lot of snow. When it's on the roads or parking lots, it tends to pack down into very slick ice. I bought some nice boots to keep my feet warm, but I was still sliding around because the soles didn't get a good purchase. I fixed that cheaply.

That's sheet metal screws. It works great for a cheap traction aid.

I'll see if I can't you fine folks a picture of a raven perched upon a mountain of snow. It'll have to wait until the light returns, though. It's after 6pm here, so it's already pitch black outside.

No comments: