Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Another rainy day

[Samara's edit at the bottom]
I'm a little more awake this morning. I went to bed a tiny bit earlier, so I probably got at least 7 hours of real sleep, maybe even 8. My body tells me I want more. I've just gotten used to waking up on my own, and having an alarm telling me when to get up just isn't something I'm cool with.

Nevertheless, I soldier bravely on. I think one of the weirdest things about having an alarm wake you early in the morning is that I find myself remembering dreams. It's hard to want to get up when you can remember the melancholy dream you were just having. This morning I was dreaming about packing and moving to leave home. I had ended up in the hospital somehow, and so all the going away presents somehow didn't get packed. (Especially the big rocking horse that Cassandra gave me!) I really wanted to go back to the hospital to get the presents and at least put them in storage. Of course, we didn't have time to pack because we had put it off for so long. Also, I had lost the keys to the storage unit. What can I say? It was a strange dream.

Once I woke up yesterday and got into the office, it was a pretty good day. I think Mondays may be the busiest sometimes, because it seems like, statistically, a lot more things are going to end up falling on a Monday. If a motion is due in a certain number of days, for instance, then it can't be due on a weekend. That means there are three possible due dates (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) that will cause it to be actually due on a Monday. All the other days just have a 1 in 7 chance of having something due, while Monday has a 3 in 7 chance. (Yay math!) Anyway, I got my desk pretty much cleared of the stuff that Monday required of me, and that included doing a bunch of research for the judge on a particular issue. All in all, it was interesting and productive.

It's raining this morning. That seems to be common weather around here. The weather forecast on my Google homepage lies. It keeps saying it will be clear, and then it rains. I think the weather forecast is about as accurate as the postal service time estimates. Folks in the lower 48 just don't seem to know what things are really like up here, so they guess.

Well, it's not fast and sunny. It's slow and rainy. Sorry to disappoint.

Let's just hope that the rain lets up before 3:15 Alaska time today. That's when Samara is going over to the school for an interview. Right now that seems like her only good job prospect, so everyone think good thoughts for her.

Meanwhile, it's off to work for me.

As to what I have been up to, I have been walking around town turning in applications. Can I just say that I miss my car? It's not that I don't like walking, it just that walking in 40 degree rain wearing only a hoodie is not the most ideal way to turn in applications or go to a job interview. As I was walking from my house to the school, the back of my pants not only got wet, but also dirty. There are 2 roads that are pavement and I don't live on one of them so I had to walk on the gravely-dirt road. It was embarrassing having dirty pant legs and going to an interview.

The job interview went pretty well. They seemed impressed by my resume, so that was something. They said that they would let me know sometime later this week. Here's hoping.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, more tv and another trip to the local market.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that your interview went well. Sucks about the dirty pants, but I am sure they didn't notice. Miss you guys.