Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Open Line

I'm double-posting on Wednesday, so make sure you scroll down and read Samara's post before this one.

There aren't a lot of radio stations here in the bush. We have a NPR station, on 670 AM. They play an interesting variety on things. In the last few days, I've heard "Native News," where they discussed the topic of gay marriage on tribal lands and the interplay with tribal sovereignty. I've heard Friday oldies, where they seem to progress through the musical ages throughout the day. Throughout the normal days, they play strange Indie music or other random songs. I heard a
Nirvana song yesterday. There was a (live?) report from a guy that was following a group of killer whales. As I type this (for later posting, since I can't access my blog from work), they're doing Open Line, which they seem to do every day. People mostly call in and wish other people happy birthdays. Sometimes they sing happy birthday in Yu'pik. Lots of folks seem confused, and just ramble. Sometimes people call in to just talk to the host, because they know him.

That's Alaskan radio, I guess.

Right now some lady is ranting about accountability of parents for their children. And not she's ranting about taxation of fuel subsidies. Apparently Open Line is your opportunity to let everyone know your crazy opinions.

Strange stuff.

No comments: