Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Second Day of Work

I had my second day of work today.

But first, other stuff. We got mail forwarded in our box from Ann. Some of it was from State Farm, who has managed to royally screw up our policies. Now, we did get rid of a bunch of our cars, and add a new one, with new coverages, but they screwed the pooch on getting it straightened out for us. Anyway, Samara ended up sorting it out today while I was at work. It involves cashing a check they sent us and then writing them a check right back. And we don't even have a car to drive right now. Whee!

At work, I got settled in to my new office. I had a conference call at 9:30am, for the new hire orientation. We went through all the important paperwork. I got my receipts for moving expenses submitted, and figured out how to get paid.

After that, I worked on a memo on a evidence suppression issue for the judge. There's a hearing tomorrow morning, so it was important to get it done.

Samara brought me some lunch from the grocery--fried chicken fingers and fries. It was nice to see her and lunch was good. She spent the day walking around getting applications from different local employers, including the school.

She also went down to get her driver's license today. You have to take a written test to get your license switched to Alaska. Apparently it was harder than Samara expected--she missed it by one question, which means she has to go back and do it again tomorrow.

After I finished up the memo for the judge, I pulled all the files that were tickled for today. What does that even mean? Well, it means that there was a computer-based reminder that a case needed something done in it. So I pulled the case file, and looked to see what needed to be done. I looked through all of them, and couldn't really figure out what needed to be done for most of them. So I asked the judge. He needed some of them so that he could do orders. Others just needed me to contact people or something. Now I've got some stuff to do tomorrow, plus a whole new set of files that have to be tickled. I hope I won't get too far behind too fast.

So far it's not such a bad place to work, though.

Oh, apparently we're getting new keys for the office soon. There have been a series of break-ins over the last 7 months or so. I wondered why anyone would break into the courthouse, until the court clerk pointed out that they have lots of bail money on hand sometimes.

I did get to take a break and walk down to the coffee shop with the judge today. Actually, we just ended up going to the gas station, but he bought me a coke, so that was nice. He says it's already moose season, so I don't think there's any chance of me learning to hunt moose this year. Once the snow falls, all the hiking is by cross-country ski or snowshoes. Apparently there is a shooting range out by the dump, though.

Anyway, now I'm home and watching television.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Aw, no moose?! You might as well come home now!