Thursday, September 25, 2008

New job stuff and pot luck

Since today was an in-service day at the school, I didn't have to work. Instead, I went to SAFE to fill out paperwork and do an orientation. I met with the HR person and filled out all the stuff that HR requires. Then I took a tour of the facility. Everyone was really friendly and laid back. As it turns out, I'm going to be a manager which means I'll actually have people beneath me. I have this large training manual I have to read, take a test over and then edit and update. I also have to find more volunteers to help out at the agency. And have I mentioned that I still have 2 weeks left at the school? Things are going to be a bit crazy around here for a while until I get settled in at the new job. Oh, I also get my own office. I have a view of the mountains from the 2nd floor. Yeah, I'm cool like that.

I also found out about this pot luck thing that was going on at the school tonight. It was a wellness conference that focused on building bridges between the elders and the youth. Aaron and I got to try moose and maybe caribou--we're not sure which was which. There was fish jerky which was pretty good and more of that Eskimo Ice cream (Akutaq). Some of it was mixed with salmon which is a bit too much of a new flavor for me. Aaron had some akutaq, but he said that he likes his really sweet, which when it is made without the fish is kinda like kroger cake icing with a ton of berries in it. After dinner, some of the kids did some of the traditional Yupik dance. There was even a song about Akutaq. It was neat.

I meant to bring my camera, but I had forgotten it at home. (No pics today) There is going to be a Christmas festival later in the year with Native crafts and food. I'll be sure to bring my camera and my checkbook.

I guess that's about it for today.

1 comment:

kieran said...

ICE CREAM WITH FISH!?!?

I have eaten a lot of crazy stuff in my life, but that kind of food would actually scare me. Oh well, you only live once, so I guess you might as well. I'm sure it beats $80/pound beef (or whatever you guys pay up there in Palinville).