Monday, September 8, 2008

Good morning

By the time I get to work every morning, it's 12 noon on the eastern seaboard. Since that's where I arrived from two weeks ago, you'd think that I would have adjusted and been able to get up early.

The problem is that I found myself going to bed later and later here. The light will really screw you up, for one thing. It gets dark here at about 10pm. It makes it hard to go to bed just then, even though that's what I should be doing. I didn't fall asleep until after midnight last night, and my alarm goes off at 7am. Well, actually, it goes off at 11am, but that's only because it's a hotel alarm clock which is factory pre-set for eastern standard time, meaning I can't change it to Alaska time. But the fact remains that I'm getting up at 7am. And that's without hitting snooze at all--just right up out of bed.

I'm vowing right now to go to bed earlier. I should really be hitting the sack by 10pm Alaska time, so that by the time I'm asleep, I get a real 8 hours. Perhaps some Benadryl will make me tired enough to actually keep that schedule.

Part of the problem is that between law school and then studying for the bar exam, I haven't had to get up "early" in a long time. I'm just not an early riser. I'm much better at getting up around 10am on my own. That's just not going to cut it working for the judge, here in the Alaskan bush.

On a final note, sorry if anyone was hoping for a Sunday blog entry. Samara and I literally watched television all day. There was nothing to post about. The only break in the monotony was a visit by our landlord to iron out the lease terms. I had just been about to e-mail him when he arrived, actually. I had to let him know when I'd be getting paid (finally!) by work. Everything is cool now--and in a month or two, I hope we'll actually be able to buy groceries without double-checking the price of everything.

We did step outside once yesterday, just for some fresh air, but we didn't really walk anywhere. The weather just isn't that great. Today the high is 57, with 94% humidity and winds at 17 mph. It'll probably rain a bit at some point. If I'm lucky, it won't be while I'm walking to work.

I sure hope that the barge with our car on it arrives on time!

No comments: