Saturday, September 6, 2008

What has Samara been up to?

As you may know, I am still without a job. What this means is that I sit around home watching the food network and updating my amazon wishlist. Recently I watched an episode of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown and he made hummus. As you can imagine, there is no hummus in this town, so naturally I started craving it. So I thought to myself, if I had a food processor or a blender (both are on the Amazon wishlist) that I could make my own. In Alton's recipe he uses peanut butter in stead of tahini sauce. So then I looked up the recipe for tahini--which also requires a blender or food processor. So I've updated my amazon wish list to include the ingredients that I need to make tahini sauce as well as hummus since most of the items are not sold at the local markets. I have put an Amazon button on the blog if you would like to look at all the stuff I have been wanting and looking at.

Now, I do other things besides just watching TV and playing on the internet. For the past 5 days I have walked into town to get the mail. And while I'm in town I visit the library, the city hall (to change my voter registration), the court house (to see Aaron), drop off job applications and go to the market to look around. All I can really say is that I am looking forward to my car getting here, because it doesn't matter that it's raining or that I don't have waterproof anything, I still have to go to town to do just about anything.

As for what we are doing tonight: the court house has received a Sam Fox mask (a local eskimo artist) and there is going to be a pot luck dinner and a movie played about Sam Fox. But in order to get down to the court house we have to brave the weather. It's raining and stormy and windy. I'm not looking forward to the trip downtown of this event.

(EDIT)
We went to the court house for the pot luck and for the Sam Fox event. I have never been to a pot luck with so many fish dished. There was smoked salmon dip, baked salmon, salmon jerky, salmon chowder, and other things that I couldn't even identify. I also got to try something called Akutaq or Eskimo ice cream. It was pretty good. It's basically berries, sugar and lard creamed up to look like ice cream. I think the original recipe has fish in it, but if it did, I didn't taste it.

I also got to hold a baby while the parents were eating. She was a little under 2 weeks old. So around the time we moved into town, she was being born. She was sweet.

I guess that is about it for today. Did I mention that it was 42 degrees and raining?

2 comments:

Robyn Wade said...

Do you want me to grab you some chickpeas at the co-op when I go to get your popcorn?

Also, I saw this online and thought you could try it.

get a brown paper lunch bag
pour 1/4 cup of organic popping corn into it (so cheap from the bulk bins)
fold it over once or twice (about 2 inches) you don't have to worry about fastening it, but fold it well so it will stay more or less closed
then, microwave it for about 1-2 minutes (I set the microwave to 2 minutes, but turn it off as soon as the popping starts to trail off, or about 1:30 minutes, test to find your perfect timing to minimize unpopped kernels and burned popcorn)
take the bag out of the microwave, put whatever you like for flavorings in while it's hot, so the steam will help the stuff cling on (I usually use nooch, braggs (this is the ONLY time I like the flavor of braggs), garlic powder, and black pepper- if I'm feeling indulgent, I'll pour some olive oil or melted EB on there too)
voila- a perfect big portion of homemade organic popcorn in under two minutes, and you can control the flavor, the fat, the sodium, everything. this was one of my all-time favorite food discoveries.

Samara said...

Chick peas would we awesome!

Good idea with the popcorn thing. Ann did that a lot when she was on a low calorie thing. I will look into it. I've not had braggs on popcorn, but in general, I never liked it.